Tim Wendel - Cancer Crossings: A Brother, His Doctors, and the Quest for a Cure to Childhood Leukemia — in conversation with Mary Kay Zuravleff

Upcoming Event
Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 1:00pm to 2:00pm

Wendel’s younger brother Eric was diagnosed with leukemia in 1966, when patients had a 10% chance of survival. Today, the chance is nearly 90%. In his affecting memoir, Wendel, writer-in-residence at Johns Hopkins and the author of over a dozen books of fiction and nonfiction, intertwines scenes from the eight years of his brother’s struggle, when the family regularly sailed across Lake Ontario, with a fascinating chronicle of the research that led to the dramatic change in childhood leukemia’s mortality rate. Among the pioneering doctors he follows are many who treated his brother at Buffalo’s Roswell Park Cancer Institute. If they were unable to save Eric, what they learned about chemotherapy has led to a happier outcome for thousands of others. Wendel will be in conversation with novelist Mary Kay Zuravleff, author most recently of Man Alive!

 

5015 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008
Non Fiction
Cancer Crossings: A Brother, His Doctors, and the Quest for a Cure to Childhood Leukemia (Culture and Politics of Health Care Work) Cover Image
By Tim Wendel, Martin Brecher (Foreword by)
$24.95
ISBN: 9781501711039
Availability: In Stock—Click for Locations
Published: ILR Press - April 15th, 2018

Share this
Not Signed or Personalized