Great Battles for Boys The American Revolution (Paperback)
Does your son hate to read?
Change his mind with jaw-dropping history.
Great Battles for Boys: The American Revolution covers the stunning battles that created the United States of America, a war between ragtag colonists and the world's mightiest military force of its time--the British Imperial Army.
From Concord and Lexington to Brandywine and Yorktown, history leaps off the page and captures the imagination of even the most reluctant readers. Boys will learn about the colonial tyranny of King George III, the writing of the Declaration of Independence, and the appointment of George Washington as commander of the Continental Army. Then, in chronological order, young readers move to the front lines of the war's major clashes, including:
- Long Island: British General Howe crushes Washington's forces and proves the odds are definitely against the Patriot forces.
- Battle of Trenton: Washington's stunning reversal after his famous Christmas Eve "crossing the Delaware."
- Valley Forge: Starving, broke, and battle-weary, the Continental Army hunkers down in Pennsylvania for a long cold winter -- and emerges as an entirely different fighting force.
- Cowpens: The southern clash where Daniel Morgan's brilliant tactics outsmart his enemy.
- Yorktown: Washington's unyielding attack that ends eight long years of suffering -- and wins liberty for the colonies.
Each chapter also profiles the Revolution's most fascinating leaders-- Benedict Arnold, Lafayette, Francis Marion, Henry Knox --and discusses the era's complicated politics, including the role of colonial women and slavery.This action-packed book will teach your son the foundational and aspirational ideas that are woven into the United States of America--such as life, liberty, and justice for all--and how those principles were won by the brave men and women who risked everything to defeat tyranny. After reading "Great Battles for Boys: The American Revolution," your son will know exactly what it means when someone says, "Freedom isn't free." PRAISE FOR THE GREAT BATTLES FOR BOYS SERIES
"This book should be in school libraries everywhere. It is a treasure trove of information that is engagingly written that makes one feel they are in a great classroom with a great instructor sharing his knowledge in a fun way." -- 5 Stars, Amazon Top Ten Hall of Fame Reviewer