Time to Listen: How Giving People Space to Speak Drives Invention and Inclusion (Paperback)
Product design strategy often seeks to change a person's buying decisions, or to manipulate a person's behavior. Such a product-focused mindset has driven our organizations into a corner. Even when product design teams want to benefit a person, they discover how they've harmed them instead by not recognizing their thinking and approaches.
Luckily, organizations don't actually function by a set of rigid laws; business, education, government, and science are all based around people.
Deep listening lets your team understand what it couldn't recognize before. The patterns and knowledge that result from deep listening are used to support someone in accomplishing their purpose in a way that matches their way of thinking better.
In this book, world-class researcher Indi Young teaches you how to conduct listening sessions to help your organization move away from a product-focused strategy toward a purpose-focused strategy.
Page by page, Indi explains clearly:
- How to put your assumptions aside to understand someone else's perspective
- How deep listening is different from interviewing-and from regular conversation
- Step-by-step techniques to listen for the most meaningful underlying concepts
- How to form a germinal question to elicit deeper insights
- How to create a safe space for people to speak about their inner thinking
Read this book to begin expanding your organization's support for more and different perspectives-leading to better strategies, more inclusive products, and a broader human experience you could find no other way.
Listening deeply changes everything.