Big Trees of Northern New England (Paperback)
Big Trees of Northern New England directs you on over 50 hikes, bikes, or paddles to find over 150 of the largest trees on public lands, both in the countryside and in the cities. MAINE trips include ancient hemlocks near the coast and red spruce along the Appalachian Trail. NEW HAMPSHIRE has its yellow birch in Franconia Notch, one of the country's biggest eastern white pines in Tamworth, and a great tour of trees in Portsmouth. VERMONT includes a red pine in the Northeast Kingdom that competes for National Champion status and a giant red oak in Burlington. MASSACHUSETTS has several great tours of white pines and a small-town walk in Westford to see the state champion shagbark hickory and black oak.
There are a large variety of trips, from easy to adventurous, for all ages and abilities. Includes maps, GPS coordinates, and clear directions to help you find the trees.
- A great way to get outside with the family for some exercise
- A good teaching tool about the benefits trees provide for us and wildlife
- Learn to identify tree types and how Big Trees are measured
- Learn the history of the land they are on and how people are connected with the trees on that land
- An impressive natural reward at the end for those who enjoy geo-caching