Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity (Paperback)
"A gifted and thoughtful writer, Metzl brings us to the frontiers of biology and technology, and reveals a world full of promise and peril." —Siddhartha Mukherjee MD, New York Times bestselling author of The Emperor of All Maladies and The Gene
A groundbreaking exploration of genetic engineering and its impact on the future of our species from leading geopolitical expert and technology futurist, Jamie Metzl.
At the dawn of the genetics revolution, our DNA is becoming as readable, writable, and hackable as our information technology. But as humanity starts retooling our own genetic code, the choices we make today will be the difference between realizing breathtaking advances in human well-being and descending into a dangerous and potentially deadly genetic arms race. Enter the laboratories where scientists are turning science fiction into reality.
In this captivating and thought-provoking nonfiction science book, Jamie Metzl delves into the ethical, scientific, political, and technological dimensions of genetic engineering, and shares how it will shape the course of human evolution.
- Cutting-edge insights into the field of genetic engineering and its implications for humanity's future
- Explores the transformative power of genetic technologies and their potential to reshape human life
- Examines the ethical considerations surrounding genetic engineering and the choices we face as a species
- Engaging narrative that delves into the scientific breakthroughs and real-world applications of genetic technologies
- Provides a balanced perspective on the promises and risks associated with genetic engineering
- Raises thought-provoking questions about the future of reproduction, human health, and our relationship with nature
Drawing on his extensive background in genetics, national security, and foreign policy, Metzl paints a vivid picture of a world where advancements in technology empower us to take control of our own evolution, but also cautions against the pitfalls and ethical dilemmas that could arise if not properly managed.
Hacking Darwin is a must-read for anyone interested in the intersection of science, technology, and humanity's future.
Jamie Metzl is a leading futurist, geopolitical expert, science fiction novelist, and media commentator and a Senior Fellow of the Atlantic Council who has served in the White House, State Department, and United Nations. In February 2019, Jamie was appointed to the World Health Organization expert advisory committee on developing global standards for the governance and oversight of human genome editing. In addition to Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity, he has written a history of the Cambodian genocide, the historical novel The Depths of the Sea, the genetics sci-fi thrillers Genesis Code and Eternal Sonata. www.jamiemetzl.com.