Parenting Bright Kids with Autism: Helping Twice-Exceptional Children with Asperger's and High-Functioning Autism (Paperback)
Parenting Bright Kids With Autism discusses the frustrations, the diagnoses, the challenges, and the joys as parents help their gifted children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) thrive in school and at home. This book:
- Helps families navigate twice-exceptional life by translating best practice into helpful advice.
- Guides parents who are trying to reach out, find information, and develop their child's talents.
- Helps parents acknowledge and get help for, but not focus on, areas of challenge.
- Is written by a professor of special education who is also a mother of a gifted child with high-functioning autism.
- Is a revision of the popular Children With High-Functioning Autism.
Topics range from understanding the first signs of autism and the diagnosis, finding a support network, and filling out necessary paperwork, to determining the various types of therapies available and planning for adulthood. The book also discusses issues that these kids may face as they become teenagers and enter college. With the advice and encouragement provided in this book, parents will receive valuable insight into this new world of caring for a gifted child with autism.