The Sierra Club Guide to Sketching in Nature, Revised Edition (Paperback)
Featuring simple step-by-step instructions and hundreds of illustrations, this sketching and watercolor primer reveals how creating art can enhance any outdoor experience.
In this inspirational guide, Cathy Johnson, a nationally recognized artist, naturalist and teacher, offers personal anecdotes, exercises and useful tips that are perfect for every amateur artist. This book covers a wide range of subjects, including:
- Tools and equipment
- Mixing paints and washes
- Selecting a subject to sketch or paint
- Capturing the illusion of light
- Sketching clouds, flowers, trees, plants and animals
- Using field sketches as studies for future paintings
- Understanding color and using a color wheel
- A source list for art supplies
With more than 280 of Johnson's own illustrations--both in color and black and white--this book will inspire you to appreciate every detail of the natural world.