Cassandra: The Definitive Guide, (Revised) Third Edition: Distributed Data at Web Scale (Paperback)
Imagine what you could do if scalability wasn't a problem. With this hands-on guide, you'll learn how the Cassandra database management system handles hundreds of terabytes of data while remaining highly available across multiple data centers. This revised third edition--updated for Cassandra 4.0 and new developments in the Cassandra ecosystem, including deployments in Kubernetes with K8ssandra--provides technical details and practical examples to help you put this database to work in a production environment.
Authors Jeff Carpenter and Eben Hewitt demonstrate the advantages of Cassandra's nonrelational design, with special attention to data modeling. Developers, DBAs, and application architects looking to solve a database scaling issue or future-proof an application will learn how to harness Cassandra's speed and flexibility.
- Understand Cassandra's distributed and decentralized structure
- Use the Cassandra Query Language (CQL) and cqlsh (the CQL shell)
- Create a working data model and compare it with an equivalent relational model
- Design and develop applications using client drivers
- Explore cluster topology and learn how nodes exchange data
- Maintain a high level of performance in your cluster
- Deploy Cassandra onsite, in the cloud, or with Docker and Kubernetes
- Integrate Cassandra with Spark, Kafka, Elasticsearch, Solr, and Lucene