The Complete Guide to Food Allergies in Adults and Children (Johns Hopkins Press Health Books) (Hardcover)
The most complete guide to preventing, testing, living with, and treating food allergies in children and adults.
In this comprehensive, evidence-based guide for adults and children with food allergies and those who care for them, Dr. Scott H. Sicherer provides all the critical information you need on preventing, testing, living with, and treating food allergies.
Organized in an accessible Q&A format and illustrated with case studies, the book thoroughly explains how to prevent exposure to a known allergen at home, at work, at school, in restaurants, and elsewhere. Emphasizing the most recent advances, Sicherer touches on everything from handling an anaphylactic emergency to diagnosing allergies and intolerances, all while detailing chronic health problems caused by food, such as eczema, hives, and gastrointestinal symptoms.
He also shares:
- the benefits and risks of new therapies
- new prevention guidelines
- new approaches to improve quality of life and reduce anxiety
- the latest insights on adult-onset food allergies
- new diagnostic tests now commercially available
- approaches shown to increase safety in school
- the latest thinking on treating eczema through the diet
- new doses and self-injection devices for treating food anaphylaxis
- new information about food allergies that affect the gut
Dr. Sicherer also reviews food reactions that are not allergic, such as lactose intolerance, irritable bowel syndrome, and celiac disease. He explains how to get adequate nutrition when you must avoid dietary staples and discusses whether allergies ever go away (they do--and sometimes they return). Finally, he includes an allergy and anaphylaxis emergency plan and checklists to reduce cross-contamination. This is the most authoritative and accessible allergy book on the market.