Marine Diesel Basics 1: Maintenance, Lay-Up, Winter Protection, Tropical Storage and Spring Recommission (Hardcover)
Second edition - more than 8,000 copies sold worldwide
With over 350 illustrations, this book shows you everything you need to know to maintain a marine diesel system - winterize the diesel system, protect from heat and humidity, and recommission to ensure reliable and trouble-free service.
- step-by-step instructions in clear, simple drawings
- explains the complete system - fuel, lubrication, cooling, breathing, electrical, running gear (shaft, stuffing box, propeller)
- lists all necessary tools and supplies to get each task done
- covers sailboats, motorboats and canalboats
- indirect and direct cooled diesel engines
- saildrives - maintenance, lay-up, recommission
Maximize the joy and freedom of being out on the water, knowing your diesel system is properly maintained and a reliable and robust friend in all conditions. Marine Diesel Basics shows you how.
Praise for the 1st edition:
". . . The best guide on the subject I've seen, this book has a place on every diesel equipped boat." - Sail Magazine
"Essential material for anybody just starting out on diesel engines due to its clear illustrations...I highly recommend it." - Good Old Boat
"As good a guide as you'll get." - Australian Sailing
"Clearly knows the subject intimately and has the rare gift of being able to transfer his knowledge to the reader in an extremely easy-to-understand manner." - Sailboat Cruising
This book is the first in the Marine Diesel Basics series. MDB2 - How Things Work & Installation Guidelines will be published in summer 2022.