Growing Figs in Cold Climates: A Complete Guide (Paperback)
From Minnesota to Moscow -- how to grow fresh figs in cold climates
Growing Figs in Cold Climates is a complete, full-color, illustrated guide to organic methods for growing delicious figs in cold climates, well outside the traditional hot, arid home of this ancient fruiting tree. Coverage includes:
- Five methods for growing figs in cold climates including overwintering
- Cultivar selection for cool and cold climates
- Pruning techniques for a variety of methods of growing figs in cold climates
- Pest problems and solutions
- Harvesting, including ways to speed ripening, identify ripe fruit, and manage an overabundance
- Small-scale commercial fig production in cold climates.
Fresh figs are juicy, full-bodied, and filled with a honey-sweet flavor, and because truly ripe figs are highly perishable, they are only available to those who grow their own.
By choosing the right cultivars and techniques, figs can be grown across cool and cold growing zones of North America, Europe, and beyond, putting them within reach of almost every gardener. Easy and delicious -- if you can grow a houseplant, you can grow a fig.