- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Current Classes
- How to Read a Book
- Writing for Middle Grade and YA Audiences (Mixed Level)
- Ladies Detective Fiction 2.0
- Writing Picture Books for Young Children
- American Idiom III: Lucille Clifton & Natasha Trethewey
- Journal Keeping: The Art Of Creating A Journal You Won't Throw Away
- The Nonfiction Journey: From the Idea to the Page
- Paris: A Literary Adventure
- Parler D.C. (French Conversation)
- Knit Lit Challenge
- Making a Photo Book
- This Green City
- Summer Classes
- Fitzgerald and Hemingway: The "Great" 1920s
- Fish Without Bicycles: The Second Women’s Movement in America, 1963-1983
- Hungry for Words: An Inquiry Into the Art of Food Writing
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Graham Greene’s Spy Trio
- Reading the Short Story
- Finding Your Narrative: A Poetry Workshop for Beginners and Intermediates
- Saul Bellow: Deconstructing a Great American Novelist
- Classes for Children & Teens
- Current Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts | CDs | DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Storewide Member Sale
All weekend long, from Friday, June 3 to Sunday, June 5, nearly everything currently on our shelves will be discounted to Politics & Prose Members! (Some exclusions apply.) P&P members always receive 20% off purchases of event books, bestsellers, and other discounted items. The sale offers 20% discounts on almost all books currently in the store, and 15% discounts on most CDs and DVDs. Come in early to have the best selection. You may also shop online or by phone between June 3 and 5 and receive the same benefits! Our website always is open 24 hours a day!!!
This is a great time to join our Membership Program to continue enjoying our author events, our superior book selection, and savings throughout the year!
P&P members always receive:
• 20% off all titles in our monthly events calendar
• 20% off hardcover fiction and nonfiction bestsellers
• Store-wide discounts during four annual members sales
• Other periodic section discounts and promotions
BALLOU HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARY BOOK DRIVE
During our Member Sale this weekend, we are holding a book drive in partnership with Ballou High School to help enhance the inventory selection in their school library. There was an article about the library's needs in a recent Washington Post. Melissa Jackson, the school librarian, came in Monday to create a modest wishlist of books of 29 titles from our store’s inventory. She is focusing on acquiring more non-fiction for this book drive, with particular interest in health, science, American presidents, country studies (specifically regarding France and Spain), the Holocaust, and the art of Jacob Lawrence; and a display of some of the requested books will be on the table in the Sale Book Room. During the member sale, all customers who purchase specific books for Ballou will receive a 20% discount on those books.
As part of your community, we have an interest in seeing our local public, private, and charter schools thrive. We host events for students and book fairs for schools nearly every weekend of the school year. Thank you once again for your continued participation in creating a community of readers, for visiting us throughout the year, shopping with us in the store and online, and becoming P&P members.
SUMMER NEWSLETTER, DISCOUNTS, AND STORE MEMBERSHIP
In gratitude for your patronage, we will have two Summer Newsletters this year, full of suggestions for your summer reading. If you're not already a Politics & Prose Member, we hope you'll make the commitment to join and receive the 20% member discount on all titles reviewed in these newsletters as well as discounts on our store hardcover bestseller lists (12 fiction & 12 non-fiction titles) year round; a discount on the books of all the authors appearing at the store; and our 4 annual Member Sales during which the choice is yours -- 20% off nearly everything in the store (15% off music CDs and DVDs.
Moreover, during the entire month of June, we will discount all audiobooks to our Members. Perfect accompaniment for those trips you will be taking this summer or to make your daily commute more enjoyable.
The printed Summer Newsletter and Children's Summer Favorites now are available in the store. Click here for downloadable copies online. Or pick one up at the Member Sale!
FATHER'S DAY GIFT BAGS
Show Dad your appreciation by treating him to a gift that he can enjoy all year with a gift bag of five superb books!
Father's Day is June 19th this year. We've selected ten exceptional books that we think are perfect for dads. To tailor the gift for the father or grandfather in your life, pick any five books that you know he'll love from these ten selections. In addition, you can choose to include either a Politics & Prose canvas tote bag or a P&P baseball cap. We will wrap each book individually and are happy to ship your gift wherever you need.
Click the titles below to learn more about each of these books.
1. Otherwise Known as the Human Condition: Selected Essays and Reviews, by Geoff Dyer
2. The New Kings of Nonfiction, edited by Ira Glass
3. Our Kind of Traitor, by John le Carre
4. Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory, by Ben Macintyre
5. The Imperfectionists, by Tom Rachman
6. Matterhorn: A Novel of the Vietnam War, by Karl Marlantes
7. Sh*t My Dad Says, by Justin Halpern
8. The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon, by David Grann
9. The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine, by Michael Lewis
10. Descartes' Bones: A Skeletal History of the Conflict Between Faith and Reason, by Russell Shorto
Click here to buy a Father's Day Gift Bag.
Price: $100 – five books of your choice plus tote bag or cap
$80 – P&P member price