- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Gaithersburg Book Festival
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Opus is ideal for large-quantity printing projects and can help your organization in printing professional-grade projects. If you're a local business, Opus can print business reports, white papers, trade publications and business directories, as well as out-of-print and hard to find industry and trade books.
If you're a school or university, Opus can print faculty directories, collections of faculty and student work, student-run publications, course packs, and out-of-print or hard to find academic texts.
Opus's trained staff will work with you and your organization to ensure that your project meets the highest possible standards.
Publishing with Politics & Prose is easy! We offer two self-publishing packages: the Basic and the Deluxe.
If you want to print your own book, the process is simple:
1. You give us your files in a Word Document or PDF.
2. We make formatting changes, if needed, to make the files printable
3. We upload them to Opus.
4. We print your book!
Want to format your book yourself and send us the pdfs? Check out the formatting guidelines.
Page numbers: The length of your book can range from 40 pages to about 800 pages (that’s approximately 20 pages in Microsoft Word to about 1,600 pages in Microsoft Word).
Book size: We can print in any size that best suits your project.
PRICES AND SHIPPING
How much do the books cost?
COVER AND SIZE
How do I know what my book will look like when it prints?
Are books printed on Opus returnable?
Does Opus only print novels?
Opus can print anything that has binding. Whether it’s poetry, a staff or church directory, an instruction manual, an university course reading packet, an anthology of works by multiple writers, a backlist or out-of-print title—the options are limitless!
Curious about whether your project and Opus might make the perfect match? Email Opus’ managers at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 364-1919 to schedule a half-hour consultation.
How much do the books cost? Any bulk discounts?
We offer two printing packages: the Basic and the Deluxe.
Our Basic Package is ideal for writers who anticipate a limited print-run of their project, and require minimal support from Opus’ manager and design team to prepare their project for printing.
Our Deluxe Package is ideal for writers who would like a larger print-run of their project, and who would like the option of featured online placement on the Opus Bookshelf webpage and preferred sign-up for our annual in-store Opus open mic. The Deluxe Package is a great choice for writers whose projects are more complex and who also require more support from the Opus staff.
We offer bulk discounts up to 20%. See our pricing information.
- Public domain (out-of-copyright) books: Many books have been digitized for archival purposes, and we can use the files to print facsimile paperbacks. Public domain books print with a generic cover that varies depending on the source of the book.The book we’ll print will contain everything that was in the original scan (library markings, notes, etc.).
Examples of authors whose books are in the public domain include Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Lewis Carroll, Arthur Conan Doyle, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Herman Melville, Edgar Allan Poe, Bram Stoker, Mark Twain, and many more.
- Non-public domain (still under copyright) books: Many books go out-of-print after a few years and are unavailable for purchase at a bookstore. Often these books are academic, industry or trade publications, as well as fiction books that have dropped off publisher’s radars. Opus has a vast database of many out-of-print titles and can print them in a matter of minutes.
- For public domain (out-of-copyright) books: You have a few options for searching the public domain:
Google Books (books.google.com/books)
Internet Archive (www.archive.org)
On Demand Books (ondemandbooks.com)
- For non-public domain (still under copyright) made available by publishers: Search the print-on-demand database by clicking here. Orders for books in this database can be placed through the website. You can also call us at (202) 349-1182 or visit us in-person.
The database of in-print books made available by publishers is compiled and managed by On Demand Books, the makers behind Opus.
- Click here to see the Opus Bookshelf, a list of the authors who have printed on Opus and have chosen to sell their book through us.
How much do the books cost?
The price depends on where the book came from. Contact email@example.com for an estimate.
How do I know what my project will look like when it prints?
We'll work with you however much or as little as you need to ensure we can give you the final product that you want. Our a la carte pricing includes options for working with our graphic designer on the overall look of your book. We're also available to help you with the text size, the table of content, pagination, and any other aspects of the book process.
Why choose Politics & Prose for my self-publishing project?
Authors have options when it comes to self-publishing their work. The advantage of Opus is that it allows an author to retain complete control over the process. You can print exactly as many books as you need now, with the option of ordering more in the future. As author, you retain all rights to your book, including non-exclusive distribution rights, and modifications to your book are possible for a small fee. You set the sales price of your book, and have the option to offer it for sale on consignment in the store and on our website via our Print-on-Demand Consignment Program.
Further, by choosing Politics & Prose, you are supporting a local business that enriches the community, pays city taxes and provides donations and support to local organizations. You will also be dealing with us personally, not a faceless website or corporation, and we will make every effort to provide the help you need to see your project through to a successful conclusion.
Is the machine environmentally friendly?
Yes! Traditionally, publishers print an author’s newest book without any idea of how many copies the book will sell. Opus allows us to produce and sell books specifically requested by customers and with a minimum of waste. Because Opus is located inside our store, there’s no fuel consumption or packaging involved in transporting a single copy of a book from the publisher to the bookstore.
For millions of public domain titles, Opus provides an efficient way to bring a book back to life without requiring a large initial print-run, storage of extra copies, or shipping for distribution. We can simply print a copy when and where the customer requests it. The only by-product of our book printing is the excess paper that remains after the books are trimmed down to size, which we reuse and recycle.
What if I still have questions?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 364-1919. We can answer your questions by phone or e-mail.
We do our best to respond to your inquiries within 24 hours; however, due to the large number of queries we receive, and to give your project the time and attention it deserves, responses may take up to 2 business days.
You can also schedule an appointment with Opus’ managers. Appointments are available 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. everyday. Appointments are scheduled in half hour blocks.