- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Gaithersburg Book Festival
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
An Evening Of Myth, Magic And Mystique
Tuesday, March 5, 6:15 p.m.
Join Barbara Meade, co-founder of Politics & Prose, and Ovid scholar Melanie Du Bois for a performance of Mary Zimmerman’s Metamorphoses. Adapted from Ovid’s classic, Metamorphoses is hailed by the New York Daily News as “Gorgeous…a work of pure enchantment.” Following the performance, there will be a question and answer discussion session with cast members moderated by a member of the Arena Stage Artistic Development team. The price of $100 includes a reserved seat at Washington D.C.’s vibrant and newly renovated Arena Stage, and a three course prix-fixe meal with the P&P group at the theater’s Catwalk Café.
Located in the historic Southwest Waterfront District, the Arena Stage is a national center for the production, presentation, development and study of American theater, and is D.C.’s premier independent theater. The Arena Stage showcases the best in American work from around the country, and features the work of some of the most innovative and ground-breaking theater companies in the nation. The theater is accessible by the Waterfront Metro, and there is nearby parking.
Our group will meet at the Arena Stage concession stand at 6:15 p.m.
Written and Directed by Mary Zimmerman
“THE SOUL WANDERS IN THE DARK, UNTIL IT FINDS LOVE. AND SO, WHEREVER OUR LOVE GOES, THERE WE FIND OUR SOUL.”
Back in D.C. for the first time since her smash hit productions of The Arabian Nights and Candide, and ten years after this exquisite production stormed Broadway and earned her the Tony Award for Best Director, MacArthur “Genius” Mary Zimmerman returns with Metamorphoses. Zimmerman’s magical interpretation of Ovid’s Metamorphoses proves myths about romance, family, loss and redemption never go out of style. Through lyrical storytelling and stunning imagery, Zimmerman constructs a wondrous world where gods and mortals interact in a giant pool on our famous in-the-round stage. These timeless stories – “powerful, moving, and funny” (Talkin’ Broadway) – ripple through the depths of imagination, reminding us of the transformative power of theater.
Promotional Period:Mar 5 2013