We Are Hiring
The sidelines department is responsible for buying and displaying all cards, journals, and other gift items in the store. The assistant’s responsibilities will include ordering and receiving as well as merchandising and daily upkeep of the non-book items, all in cooperation with and supervised by the Sidelines Buyer. This is a full-time (40hrs/wk) position. The position is five days a week, including one weekend day. The hours are generally 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. but could offer some flexibility. We are looking to fill the position immediately.
- Good organizational skills
- Retail and merchandising experience preferred
- A good aesthetic sense
- A systematic and methodical approach to problem-solving
- The ability to work efficiently without much supervision
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and the answers to the following questions to PandPjobs@politics-prose.com
1. If you were a better person what would you be reading/doing right now?
2. What is the difference between a library and a bookstore?
3. What is a book?
4. Do you ever give up on a book? What makes you hate a book? If you do hate a book, do you give up on it?
5. Alphabetical, color-coded, or thematic (or something else…)?
6. Pencil, pen, screwdriver, hammer?
7. Alejandro Jodorowsky, Michael Bay, or Sophia Coppola?
8. A pill has been invented that makes you 30% smarter than you are now, but to everyone else you will appear 20% stupider than you are now, do you take the pill?
9. Coffee or tea?
Politics & Prose bookstore is always busy with customers browsing, nightly author events, and regular classes and programs, and the booksellers are responsible for making sure it all runs smoothly while answering the phones, ringing up sales and shelving books. It’s a busy and lively work environment that offers a varied workday ranging from moving boxes of books to offering personal book recommendations to, always and above all, customer service.
Bookseller positions are available both part-time (24-32hrs/wk) and full-time (40hrs/wk). All booksellers work one morning, one evening and one weekend shift. Booksellers may have the opportunity to work at other Politics & Prose locations.
Daily tasks include:
- Helping customers find books
- Shelving books and maintaining and restocking displays
- Operating cash registers
- Taking special orders and contacting customers when their orders have arrived
- Answering the phone and emails in a friendly and efficient manner
- Ability to multi-task
- Staying calm under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to stand for 8 hours a day
- Excellent customer service
Children and Teens Bookseller
Seeking a full-time bookseller, including weekend and evening shifts, for the Children and Teens Department.
Duties include customer service in person, by email and over the phone, shelving, taking daily inventory, creating school orders, making table displays, and maintaining and organizing assigned sections. Staff are expected to read a variety of children’s and teens’ backlist and frontlist titles to maintain knowledge of department inventory, regularly write book reviews for the website and department newsletters, and host author events.
Other responsibilities may include editorial tasks, coordinating Children and Teens book-a-month program, Children and Teens signed first editions club, and book fairs/partnership Fridays. The bookseller also may be enlisted to order sidelines, design window displays, present book talks for teachers, librarians, and students..
- Good with people
- Able to multi-task and prioritize tasks
- Strong writing skills
- Retail/customer service experience preferred
- Public speaking experience a plus
- Experience with children and/or teens a plus
BECOME A BOOKSELLER AT POLITICS & PROSE
Politics & Prose is always looking for new booksellers. If you have a passion for books, fill out the employment form below or download, save, and submit it to PandPjobs@politics-prose.com. We hire full-time and part-time employees who are able to work at least some evening and weekend hours and who are committed to working at least a year.