- Multimedia Archive
- Classes & Trips
- Book Groups
- Supported Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Writing Workshops
- Be Your Own Editor: How to Edit Your Own Work
- Grab the Reader at Go
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! A
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! B
- Memoir Writing: Possible Moral, Ethical & Legal Issues
- Mixed Level Memoir Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing
- Writing for Middle Grade & Young Adult
- Politics & Place
- Close Reads: Classics & Contemporary
- Fiction & Form
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- District Lines
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
All through December we'll be highlighting some of our Department Favorites.
(Margaret Ferguson, $17.99)
read more about this book.
Be an Angel!
Every year, Politics & Prose supports a local charity in need of books. This year, in memory of beloved author Walter Dean Myers, our book angel recipient is Hope House. Myers wrote over 100 books, many award-winning, for children and teens. His experiences, growing up in Harlem, dropping out of high school, and enlisting in the Army, informed much of his writing and appealed to a wide range of readers from a variety of backgrounds.
Among Myers’ many passions was working with incarcerated youth. Hope House connects incarcerated parents with their children. One of its programs allows children to regularly visit their incarcerated fathers or mothers online, and to watch and listen to bedtime stories that dads or moms record. Check out the article about Hope House executive director Carol Fennelly in the December issue of Washingtonian.
Customers get 20% off their book angel purchases and P&P staff will collect the books. Customers may make a one-time purchase or support Hope House all year by signing up for our Children’s Book-a-Month program.