- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Supported Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- District Lines
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Futurist Book Group (1st Wednesday, 7:30 p.m)
FUTURIST BOOK GROUP
Wednesday December 3rd, 2014, 7:30 p.m.
The Futurist Book Group will be meeting outside of the store.
Promotional Period:Dec 3 2014
The Futurist Book Group is led by Ken Harris. The Futurist Book Group of the Washington chapter of the World Future Society has met at Politics and Prose on the first Wednesday of every month except August since 2004. 10 of our 33 members attend nearly every meeting; and several people who don’t attend also read our selections. We hold lively, wide-ranging discussions of non-fiction books to learn about the future. Lists of our past and scheduled selections can be found online at http://www.natcapwfs.org/events_archives.htm and http://www.natcapwfs.org/events.htm.
Here are five key factors in our success:
- We choose readings by group consensus to give members a stake in what we read.
- We schedule readings well in advance to allow time for Politics & Prose to order the books and for our members to read them. We read very long books, such as Collapse, over 2 months.
- We don’t invite authors to our meetings in order to encourage members to talk rather than listen.
- We strongly encourage, but don’t insist, that attendees read the books. If they haven’t read the book, they can learn what it is about and relate relevant life experiences in the discussion.
- We minimize administration. As leader, I prepare questions and comments to get the discussion started and keep it moving, let Politics and Prose know what books we have chosen, maintain the list of potential selections and schedule, and send the members an email after each meeting.
We invite you to attend our meetings. You can learn more about the World Future Society at http://www.wfs.org.
Ken Harris is Chairman of The Consilience Group LLC, a Bethesda, MD, futurist consulting firm, Transportation Field Editor of Techcast.org, a professional member and Secretary of the World Future , and a member of the Association for Professional Futurists.