- Multimedia Archive
- Classes & Trips
- Book Groups
- Supported Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Writing Workshops
- Be Your Own Editor: How to Edit Your Own Work
- Grab the Reader at Go
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! A
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! B
- Memoir Writing: Possible Moral, Ethical & Legal Issues
- Mixed Level Memoir Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing
- Writing for Middle Grade & Young Adult
- Politics & Place
- Close Reads: Classics & Contemporary
- Fiction & Form
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- District Lines
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Don't Think of an Elephant is the definitive handbook for understanding what happened in the 2004 election and communicating effectively about key issues facing America today. Author George Lakoff has become a key advisor to the Democratic party, helping them develop their message and frame the political debate.
In this book Lakoff explains how conservatives think, and how to counter their arguments. He outlines in detail the traditional American values that progressives hold, but are often unable to articulate. Lakoff also breaks down the ways in which conservatives have framed the issues, and provides examples of how progressives can reframe the debate.
Lakoff's years of research and work with environmental and political leaders have been distilled into this essential guide, which shows progressives how to think in terms of values instead of programs, and why people vote their values and identities, often against their best interests.
Don't Think of An Elephant is the antidote to the last forty years of conservative strategizing and the right wing's stranglehold on political dialogue in the United States.
Read it, take action--and help take America back.