- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
One of the best-selling cartoons today. Offering blistering commentary on hot-button topics related to recent news events, popular culture, cartoon-page contemporaries, and more, Pearls Before Swine expertly illustrates the flaws and shortcomings of human nature through Pastisâ€™s mindful menagerie of fiery and feisty characters.
Stephan Pastis offers Pearls Before Swine fans a visit to the other side of the looking glass with his latest collection, Larry in Wonderland. Collecting almost a year's worth of strips, Larry in Wonderland offers cutting-edge commentary on recent news events, popular culture, and cartoon-page contemporaries, and imparts the knowledge that in Wonderland, crocodiles taste a lot like chicken.
Through Pastis's mindful menagerie of characters, including the Mad Ducker, Cheshire Snuffles, Tweedledum Pig, and Tweedledee Idiot Pig, along with Raterpillar, Zebra, and Larry the Croc, Pearls Before Swine expertly illustrates the flaws and shortcomings of human nature, while remaining "indifferent" to conventional cartoon molds such as plotline "continuity." In the words of Raterpillar, "Plotline schmotline."
With multiple honors as Best Comic Strip of the Year by the National Cartoonists Society, and an international fan base that follows the strip's appearance in more than 600 newspapers worldwide, Pearls Before Swine transports readers to a world of shifting perspectives and alternate realities, like the one presented inside Larry in Wonderland.
About the Author
Stephan Pastis is an attorney turned cartoonist. A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, and the UCLA School of Law, he worked as a lawyer before trying his hand at cartooning. Pastis lives in the Bay Area, with his wife and two children.