- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- "What's Love Got To Do With It?": A History of Marriage
- Arthurian Women
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Cloaked Trajectory: Tracking the Modern Spy Novel
- Edith Wharton
- Expatriate Literature: Americans Abroad
- From Main Street to Lake Wobegon: Sinclair Lewis, Garrison Keillor, and Life in Small Town America
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Inside The Best American Poetry 2013
- Knitting the New Lace
- Make Your Own Passover Haggadah with DipTwice
- Master Class: Memoir Manuscript Workshop
- Memoir Writing Workshop (Mixed Level)
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Ralph Ellison: Invisible & Visible
- Shakespeare in Washington: Richard III and Henry IV, Part 1
- Text and Performance: Three Contemporary Plays
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Workshop with NYT bestselling author Cara Black: We'll Always Have Paris...: Constructing an International Setting
- Writing and Rewriting Huck
- Winter Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Our Country's Presidents: All You Need to Know About the Presidents, From George Washington to Barack Obama (Hardcover)
Not currently shipping from publisher – Subject to future availability
Ladies and Gentlemen: the next President of the United States will soon be included within the pages of one of our perennial favorites. National Geographic Children’s Books will publish this fully revised and updated edition of Our Country’s Presidents in time for the Inauguration of our 44th head of state—the first Presidents reference book on the market after the election.
This president will follow in the footsteps of 43 predecessors who have assumed America’s greatest responsibility: these men have faithfully executed their duties—they have signed treaties, addressed Congress, brokered peace, and waged war. Each has left his own indelible mark on the history of the United States and on the lives of the American people.
Find out why George Washington gave up his life as a Virginia planter to lead the nation; why John Taylor was deemed "His Accidency"; walk with the presidents through wars, depressions, civil rights movements, and the space race; romp with the Garfield children in a White House pillow fight; and mourn with a nation for John F. Kennedy.
This timely update will offer fascinating and comprehensive profiles of all the presidents, timelines of their administrations, historic images, and features on important aspects of their terms. A fresh cover design and informative insight about our new leader will make this volume stand apart from all other contenders, and confirm its place as the definitive family reference guide to the fascinating lives of our leaders past and present.
National Geographic supports K-12 educators with ELA Common Core Resources.
Visit www.natgeoed.org/commoncore for more information.
About the Author
Ann Bausum is the daughter of a history professor, and she grew up with a love of American history and a passion for research. This award-winning author has published several books for National Geographic Books, including the acclaimed reference book, Our Country’s First Ladies. Another of her titles, Freedom Riders, was named a Sibert Honor Book. She lives in Beloit, WI.
Praise for Our Country's Presidents: All You Need to Know About the Presidents, From George Washington to Barack Obama…
"Lavish use of period and modern illustrations, quotes, solid research, and the kind of offbeat facts so dear to readers young and older are included..." Booklist(Review of 2004 Edition)