- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Summer Classes
- The Nonfiction Journey: From the Idea to the Page
- Fitzgerald and Hemingway: The "Great" 1920s
- Fish Without Bicycles: The Second Women’s Movement in America, 1963-1983
- Hungry for Words: An Inquiry Into the Art of Food Writing
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Graham Greene’s Spy Trio
- Reading the Short Story
- Finding Your Narrative: A Poetry Workshop for Beginners and Intermediates
- Saul Bellow: Deconstructing a Great American Novelist
- Classes for Children & Teens
- Summer Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts | CDs | DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
The New Empire of Debt : The Rise and Fall of an Epic Financial Bubble (Hardcover)
Not currently shipping from publisher – Subject to future availability
An updated look at the United States' precarious position given the recent financial turmoil
In The New Empire of Debt, financial writers Bill Bonner and Addison Wiggin return to reveal how the financial crisis that has plagued the United States will soon bring an end to this once great empire.
Throughout the book, the authors offer an updated look at the United States' precarious position given the recent financial turmoil, and discuss how government control of the economy and financial system-combined with unfettered deficit spending and gluttonous consumption-has ravaged the business environment, devastated consumer confidence, and pushed the global economy to the brink. Along the way, Bonner and Wiggin cast a wide angle lens that looks back in history and ahead to the coming century: showing how dramatic changes in the economic power of the United States will inevitably impact every American.
- Reveals the financial realities the United States currently faces and what the ultimate outcome may be
- Weaves together the worlds of politics, economics, and personal finance in a way that underscores the severity of the situation
- Addresses the events leading up to the implosion of the U.S. financial system
- Looks ahead to help you avoid the pitfalls presented by a weaker United States
- Other titles by Bonner: Empire of Debt, Financial Reckoning Day, and Mobs, Messiahs, and Markets
- Other titles by Wiggin: I.O.U.S.A., Demise of the Dollar, and Financial Reckoning Day
The United States is heading down a difficult path. The New Empire of Debt clearly shows how this has happened and discusses what you can do to overcome the financial challenges that will arise as the situation deteriorates.
About the Author
William Bonner is President and CEO of Agora Inc., one of the world's largest financial newsletter companies (www.agorafinancial.com). He is the creator of the Daily Reckoning (www.dailyreckoning.com), a financial newsletter with more than 500,000 readers in the United States, Great Britain, and Australia, and is translated daily into French and German. Mr. Bonner is also the coauthor, with Addison Wiggin, of the international bestsellers Financial Reckoning Day and Empire of Debt.
Addison Wiggin is the Executive Publisher of Agora Financial. He is also the Executive Producer and a writer of the feature-length documentary film I.O.U.S.A., which was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. Mr. Wiggin is the coauthor, with Mr. Bonner, of the international bestsellers Financial Reckoning Day and Empire of Debt, and author of The Demise of the Dollar . . . And Why It's Even Better for Your Investments.