- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain (Hardcover)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
"Compelling...A masterly feat...A magnificent, sweeping, authoritative, warm yet wry history."
--The Wall Street Journal
In this fascinating and intimate portrait of the Stuarts, author Allan Massie takes us deep into one of history’s bloodiest and most tumultuous reigns. Exploring the family's lineage from the first Stuart king to the last, The Royal Stuarts is a panoramic history of the family that acted as a major player in the Scottish Wars of Independence, the Union of the Crowns, the English Civil War, the Restoration, and more.
Drawing on the accounts of historians past and present, novels, and plays, this is the complete story of the Stuart family, documenting their path from the salt marshes of Brittany to the thrones of Scotland and England and eventually to exile. The Royal Stuarts brings to life figures like Mary, Queens of Scots, Charles I, and Bonnie Prince Charlie, uncovering a family of strong affections and fierce rivalries. Told with panache, this is the gripping true story of backstabbing, betrayal, and ambition gone awry.
About the Author
ALLAN MASSIE is the award-winning author of many novels, including his Roman Quartet —Antony, Augustus, Tiberius and Caesar. He lives in the Scottish Borders and writes for the Daily Telegraph, Scotsman and for the Spectator, where he has a regular column.
Praise for The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain…
Praise for The Royal Stuarts
"Not just for history lovers but anyone hooked on Showtime's The Tudors or, currently, The Borgias...An enjoyable, often witty read, which will make for a nice introduction to the Stuarts and a fun refresher for aficionados."
"A well-fashioned history of the remarkable Scottish monarchs... A palatable history lesson that might help untangle the royal lineage web for American readers."
"Smart...A delightfully opinionated but nuanced and action-packed history."
"It drips with blood, cruelty and tears... Evocative, visceral - haunting."
--Daily Telegraph (UK)
"Lively and jauntily paced history."
-- Sunday Times (UK)
"Stirring and eloquent account of the Stuarts."
--Scotland on Sunday
"A highly readable and impressively panoramic history."
"[Massie] combines dry wit and fondness for well-constructed sentences with a novelist's sense of the enlivening detail."
-- Daily Express (UK)
"A pleasure to read and psychologically compelling."
--The Spectator (UK)