- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
From Dan Fante, the son of novelist John Fante, comes a gritty detective novel featuring JD Fiorella, an ex-private investigator who's bent on avenging his friend's murder.
Failed private investigator JD Fiorella was a pro at finding trouble. Mixing it up with the wrong people in New York, he escaped to L.A.--only to hit rock-bottom after too many nightmares and too much booze.
Now forty-six and sober, JD is working hard to get it together. Living in Malibu at his mother's house in Point Dume, he's got a new job selling used cars with his friend Woody and a new girlfriend. But just as things are looking up, JD discovers a gruesome murder. Now the ex-private detective has to make a choice.
Determined to exact vengeance, he follows a twisting trail of clues that leads him to unexpected truths about himself and his new life--and to a psychopathic killer with an eerie connection to his past. And, as JD soon learns, this time there's no easy way out.
About the Author
Dan Fante is the son of novelist John Fante. He is the author of several books of poems, short stories, and plays, and the novels 86d, Chump Change, Mooch, and Spitting Off Tall Buildings. He lives in Los Angeles with his wife and son.
Praise for Point Doom…
Praise for Dan Fante:“This writer has the telemarketer’s skill for keeping the mooch on the line: readers who don’t hang up right away very likely won’t be able to stop listening.”
-New York Times
“A powerful read from a writer who’s lived what he writes and writes what he lived, 86’d stands out as yet another example of Fante’s unique voice and bottoms-up, scraped-off-the-sidewalk prose.”
-Jerry Stahl, author of Permanent Midnight
“Told in a free-flowing narrative style that features a number of memorable characters, Fante’s novel is dark, bleak, gritty, and inventively vulgar. It’s also honest, painful, and occasionally tender.”