- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
It Worked for Me LP: In Life and Leadership (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
It Worked for Me is filled with vivid experiences and lessons learned that have shaped the legendary career of the four-star general and former Secretary of State Colin Powell. At its heart are Powell's "Thirteen Rules"notes he gathered over the years and that now form the basis of his leadership presentations. Powell's short but sweet rules such as "Get mad, then get over it" and "Share credit" illustrate his emphasis on conviction, hard work, and, above all, respect for others.
A natural storyteller, Powell offers warm and engaging parables on succeeding in the workplace and beyond. Taken together, they comprise a powerful portrait of a reflective, self-effacing leader.
Thoughtful and revealing, Colin Powell's It Worked for Me is a brilliant and original blueprint for leadership.
About the Author
COLIN POWELL was born in New York City in 1937. He is a retired four-star general in the United States Army and has earned numerous military, civilian, and foreign honors. He has served four presidential administrations in a variety of roles, most recently as Secretary of State from 2001 to 2005. He lives in Virginia.
Praise for It Worked for Me LP: In Life and Leadership…
“An entertaining read from a charming, accomplished man. . . . A delightful book.”
-The Washington Times