- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Vanishing Girls (Mass Market Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
For two years the "Working Girl Killer" hunted in Manhattan, brutally slaughtering nine city prostitutes.
And now the fiend has crossed the river.
Former cop-turned-p.i. Karin Schaeffer receives the call meant for her detective husband Mac on a Sunday night: two females found on a Brooklyn street. The first is an eleven-year-old girl, the apparent victim of a hit-and-run. But it's the second body that truly chills the blooda young corpse bearing the grisly, unmistakable signature of a serial slayer who has eluded the NYPD for years.
But there's something frighteningly different about these latest atrocitiesa kink that is leading Schaeffer's unofficial investigation down strange and twisting alleys where nothing is as it originally seems. And the haunted p.i., who once lost everything to a psychopath, is suddenly facing the darkness once again . . . when the horror strikes too close to home and those she loves are in danger of vanishing forever.
About the Author
Born in France to American parents, Katia Lief moved to the United States as a baby and was raised in Massachusetts and New York. She teaches fiction writing as a part-time faculty member at the New School in Manhattan and lives in Brooklyn with her husband, two children, two cats, and several fish.
Praise for Vanishing Girls…
“Katia Lief skillfully weaves a complex tale of an emotionally scarred central character, nail-biting suspense, and a diabolical killer that will grip you until the very last page. I can’t wait for the next Detective Karin Schaeffer thriller.”
-Richard Montanari on YOU ARE NEXT
“I can always count on Katia Lief for gripping, twist-filled psychological suspense.”
-Wendy Corsi Staub, NYT bestselling author
“Vanishing Girls is powerful, provocative, and pulsating with verve.”
-Hartford Books Examiner
“Author Katia Lief takes her readers on a whirlwind ride, overflowing with mystery layered upon mystery, ending in an unusual but gratifying finale. Readers will want to read more of this talented writer’s work.”
-New York Journal of Books
“Lief pens a diabolically brilliant story and takes us on an amazing, wild ride.”
-Terri Ann Armstrong author of Morning Menace and Executive Editor for Suspense Magazine