- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- "What's Love Got To Do With It?": A History of Marriage
- Arthurian Women
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Cloaked Trajectory: Tracking the Modern Spy Novel
- Edith Wharton
- Expatriate Literature: Americans Abroad
- From Main Street to Lake Wobegon: Sinclair Lewis, Garrison Keillor, and Life in Small Town America
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Inside The Best American Poetry 2013
- Knitting the New Lace
- Make Your Own Passover Haggadah with DipTwice
- Master Class: Memoir Manuscript Workshop
- Memoir Writing Workshop (Mixed Level)
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Ralph Ellison: Invisible & Visible
- Shakespeare in Washington: Richard III and Henry IV, Part 1
- Text and Performance: Three Contemporary Plays
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Workshop with NYT bestselling author Cara Black: We'll Always Have Paris...: Constructing an International Setting
- Writing and Rewriting Huck
- Winter Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
America's Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb: How the Looming Debt Crisis Threatens the American Dream-and How We Can Turn the Tide Before (Hardcover)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
Record-shattering government spending, taxes, deficits, and debt threaten a downward spiral in the American people's standard of living, ultimately stealing the American dream.
The welfare state is melting down. State and local governments are reeling under the burden of runaway public-employee pensions, dysfunctional education bureaucracies, and belligerent public-sector unions. In the past, the state governments have turned to the federal government to bail them out. But the federal government is broke.
In chilling detail, former Reagan administration adviser Peter Ferrara documents the looming collapse of the American social safety net and describes what will happen when the government goes bankrupt. He also introduces us to his vision for the way forward: a new concept that he calls "prosperity independence." Ferrara supports sweeping tax reform to maximize economic growth, and fundamental entitlement reform to replace our outdated redistribution-based welfare state with a modernized comprehensive social safety net.
Utilizing modern capital, labor, and insurance markets, these reforms will accomplish far more than our current entitlement programs could ever hope to do, at a fraction of the cost. In addition to balancing our national budget and cutting back on government power, control, taxation, and spending, America will finally win the War on Poverty.
Ferrara also shows how our nation can enjoy a new generation-long economic boom, once again leading the world in economic growth and abundance.
About the Author
Peter Ferrara is director of policy for the Carleson Center for Public Policy and senior fellow for entitlement and budget policy with the Heartland Institute. He served in the White House Office of Policy Development under President Reagan and as associate deputy attorney general under President George H. W. Bush. He writes a weekly column at Spectator.org and also at Forbes.com. He lives in McLean, Virginia, and Easton, Pennsylvania.
Praise for America's Ticking Bankruptcy Bomb: How the Looming Debt Crisis Threatens the American Dream-and How We Can Turn the Tide Before …
“In an authoratative book which leads to an inarguable conclusion, Peter Ferrara provides an antidote for anyone still in denial about the mortal threat posed by our nation’s debt--and the anti-growth policies that are adding to it.”
-Mitch Daniels, Governor, Indiana