- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- "What's Love Got To Do With It?": A History of Marriage
- Arthurian Women
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Cloaked Trajectory: Tracking the Modern Spy Novel
- Edith Wharton
- Expatriate Literature: Americans Abroad
- From Main Street to Lake Wobegon: Sinclair Lewis, Garrison Keillor, and Life in Small Town America
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Inside The Best American Poetry 2013
- Knitting the New Lace
- Make Your Own Passover Haggadah with DipTwice
- Master Class: Memoir Manuscript Workshop
- Memoir Writing Workshop (Mixed Level)
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Ralph Ellison: Invisible & Visible
- Shakespeare in Washington: Richard III and Henry IV, Part 1
- Text and Performance: Three Contemporary Plays
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Workshop with NYT bestselling author Cara Black: We'll Always Have Paris...: Constructing an International Setting
- Writing and Rewriting Huck
- Winter Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
The Style Mentors: Women Who Define the Art of Dressing Today (Hardcover)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
Profiling more than eighty contemporary women with great style, The Style Mentors offers today's fashion-conscious woman role models for the here and now. Each of the book's eight chapters addresses a signature look with proven fashion longevityicon, maverick, bohemian, gamine, siren, minimalist, rocker, and classicand demonstrates how to achieve it by analyzing the style of those who wear it admirably. The Style Mentors then shows how to incorporate that know-how into a current personal look. Included throughout are a wealth of dos and don'ts, lists of wardrobe and accessory essentials, and sage tips on fashion and beauty in the words of the women themselves.
With more than two hundred gorgeous photo-graphs and an informative, entertaining text, The Style Mentors is essential reading for fashion mavens and for anyone seeking tried-and-true advice on the art of dressing well from those who have mastered it.
About the Author
Elyssa Dimant is a fashion historian and expert in contemporary fashion studies. She serves as an adjunct professor at Parsons School of Design and the Cooper-Hewitt Masters Program in the Decorative Arts in New York and has lectured at museums, universities, and private venues worldwide. Formerly a curatorial research associate at the Costume Institute at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, she co-curated the 2004 exhibition "WILD: Fashion Untamed" and co-authored the accompanying catalog. Also the author of Fashioning Fabrics: Contemporary Textiles in Fashion and Minimalism and Fashion: Reduction in the Postmodern Era, Dimant has contributed to a wide variety of fashion publications, including The Spaces and Places of Fashion, The Encyclopedia of Clothing and Fashion, Vogue, Elle Canada, Zink, Selvedge, DecArts, Hint, and CITY, for which she served as a monthly columnist.
Praise for The Style Mentors: Women Who Define the Art of Dressing Today…
Style never goes out of fashion and Style Mentors proves it! This book is an incredible archive of today’s most stylish tastemakers worldwide and fashion icons of days past whose influence is still strong today. It’s a great celebration of women and the power of enduring style.
-Lori Goldstein, stylist and Style Editor at Large, W Magazine
In its profiles of contemporary women, from the relatively conventional to the most eccentric, Style Mentors is a fascinating introduction to those who have successfully negotiated the perilous challenges of fashion to achieve great personal style.
-Harold Koda, Curator-in-Charge, The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of ArtHarold Koda, Curator-in-Charge, The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of ArtHarold Koda, Curator-in-Charge, The Costume Institute at The Metropolitan
The Style Mentors is a very vibrant, new take on fashion and style. Dimant’s deep knowledge of fashion history combined with her contemporary perspective makes the book rich and engaging.
-Francisco Costa, Women's Creative Director, Calvin Klein Collection
A beautifully illustrated volume profiling today’s most stylish women with a solid nod to icons of days past-and featuring timeless styles throughout-The Style Mentors inspires us all to cultivate a more creative closet!
-Cynthia Rowley, Designer