- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- "What's Love Got To Do With It?": A History of Marriage
- Arthurian Women
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Cloaked Trajectory: Tracking the Modern Spy Novel
- Edith Wharton
- Expatriate Literature: Americans Abroad
- From Main Street to Lake Wobegon: Sinclair Lewis, Garrison Keillor, and Life in Small Town America
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Inside The Best American Poetry 2013
- Knitting the New Lace
- Make Your Own Passover Haggadah with DipTwice
- Master Class: Memoir Manuscript Workshop
- Memoir Writing Workshop (Mixed Level)
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Ralph Ellison: Invisible & Visible
- Shakespeare in Washington: Richard III and Henry IV, Part 1
- Text and Performance: Three Contemporary Plays
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Workshop with NYT bestselling author Cara Black: We'll Always Have Paris...: Constructing an International Setting
- Writing and Rewriting Huck
- Winter Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Is the kingdom's fate in the hands of an orphan cat?
Running fast to save his life, Aldwyn ducks into an unusual pet store. Moments later Jack, a young wizard in training, comes in to choose a magical animal to be his familiar. Aldwyn's always been clever. But magical? Jack thinks soand Aldwyn is happy to play along.
He just has to convince the other familiarsthe know-it-all blue jay Skylar and the friendly tree frog Gilbertthat he's the powerful cat he claims to be.
Then the unthinkable happens. Jack and two other young wizards are captured by the evil queen of Vastia.
On a thrilling quest to save their loyals, the familiars face dangerous foes, unearth a shocking centuries-old secret, and discover a destiny that will change Vastia forever. Their magical adventurean irresistible blend of real heart, edge-of-your-seat action, and laugh-out-loud humoris an unforgettable celebration of fantasy and friendship.
About the Author
Adam Jay Epstein spent his childhood in Great Neck, New York, while Andrew Jacobson grew up in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, but the two met in Los Angeles. They have been writing together for film and television ever since.
One day, Adam asked Andrew, "Are you familiar with what a familiar is?" And from that simple question, Vastia was born, a fantastical world filled with the authors' shared love of animals and magic. This is the third book in The Familiars series.
Adam Jay Epstein lives in Los Angeles with his wife, Jane, and their daughters, Penny and Olive. Andrew Jacobson, his wife, Ashley, their son, Ryder, and their dog, Elvis, live close by.
The Familiars will be produced for film by Sam Raimi and Sony Animation.
Praise for The Familiars…
“This series opener won’t disappoint. The consistently suspenseful narrative moves quickly and is full of twists and turns. This winning combination of action and humor will keep readers turning pages right up to the ending.”
-School Library Journal (starred review)
“Screenwriters Epstein and Jacobson’s children’s book debut is a grand adventure with entertaining characters and magic-induced fun, written in an appropriately cinematic style.”
“The Familiars combines the magic of Harry Potter and the adventure of Warriors into an enchanting story readers will love. Whether furry [like Aldwyn], flippered [like Gilbert] or feathered [like Skylar] you’ll be taking a closer look at your family pet.”
-Michael Buckley, author of The Sisters Grimm and NERDS
“Kids who love animal stories, adventure, fantasy and good humored friendship will be waiting impatiently for the next book in this rich and fantastical trilogy. So get familiar with the Familiars!”
-Becky Anderson, Anderson's Bookshop