- Multimedia Archive
- Classes & Trips
- Book Groups
- Supported Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Writing Workshops
- Be Your Own Editor: How to Edit Your Own Work
- Grab the Reader at Go
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! A
- In the Beginning: Get Your Manuscript Off to a Great Start! B
- Memoir Writing: Possible Moral, Ethical & Legal Issues
- Mixed Level Memoir Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing
- Writing for Middle Grade & Young Adult
- Politics & Place
- Close Reads: Classics & Contemporary
- Fiction & Form
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- District Lines
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Letting Go (Fifth Edition): A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
For more than a decade Letting Go has provided hundreds of thousands of parents with valuable insights, information, comfort, and guidance throughout the emotional and social changes of their children's college years—from the senior year in high school through college graduation. Based on real-life experience and recommended by colleges and universities around the country, this indispensable book has been updated and revised, offering even more compassionate, practical, and up-to-the-minute information.
- When should parents encourage independence?
- When should they intervene?
- What issues of identity and intimacy await students?
- What are normal feelings of disorientation and loneliness for students—and for parents?
- What is different about today's college environment?
- What new concerns about safety, health and wellness, and stress will affect incoming classes?
About the Author
Karen Levin Coburn is the Senior Consultant in Residence and former Assistant Vice Chancellor for Students at Washington University in St. Louis.
Praise for Letting Go (Fifth Edition): A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years…
“A sensitive, informative and well-written guide to help parents know what their children are getting into when they leave for college. Full of practical advice and psychological insight, it’s a better antidote than Valium for the anxieties parents feel as they prepare to let their children go.”
-Ben Lieber, Dean of Students, Amherst College
“A seminal source of information for families and their college-bound children.”
-Larry Moneta, Vice President for Student Affairs, Duke University
“Filled with practical and up-to-date information, Letting Go is must-reading for parents embarking on this next stage of life with their soon-to-be college students. Undoubtedly, the best guide available today.”
-Dr. Patricia A. Whitely, Vice President for Student Affairs, University of Miami
“As a high school principal, I find Letting Go to be an invaluable resource. Written in a humorous and accessible style, it answers the questions ‘What happens next and how can you deal with it?’”
-Louise Losos, Principal, Clayton High School, Clayton, Missouri