- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Texas Heat: Lone Star Intrigue #1 (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
A woman is wrongly accused—and one man will risk everything to prove her innocence and save her life.
The last thing Jack Mansfield ever wanted was to arrest his former sweetheart—especially with her crying five-year-old hanging on to her. But Jack is the police chief of Bullard, Texas, and records indicate Charli has embezzled more than $100,000 from the bank where she works. Charli swears she's innocent, but Jack must abide by the law.
Charli thought she had pieced her life back together after her first husband left her alone and pregnant. But now she sits in a jail cell, accused of a crime she did not commit, with a little girl waiting on the outside. Charli's faith has always kept her steady during the ups and downs of life, but she can't deny she's now close to despair.
Jack has harbored unrequited love for Charli for over a decade; and that love drives him to task himself and his private-eye brother, Sonny, to prove her innocence and find the perpetrator. But Jack and Charli will never have their happily-ever-after if she goes to prison...or is murdered by the person who framed her. Will they find the true culprit in time to save Charli's life and finally give their love a chance?
Includes discussion questions, a letter from the author, and a preview of book two in the lone star intrigue series
About the Author
Debra White Smith is a speaker, media personality, and author of many bestselling books, including Romancing Your Husband, Romancing Your Wife, the Sister Suspense fiction series, and the Jane Austen fiction series. There are more than one million copies of her books in print.
Praise for Texas Heat: Lone Star Intrigue #1…
“Debra White Smith is a master storyteller whose way with words will charm, delight, and entertain. Her stories are not to be missed!”
-Tracie Peterson, bestselling author of the Alaskan Quest series
“A suspense-filled tale of deceit, embezzlement and murder that will keep readers on the edge of their seats....Written in a spirited and captivating style, this series should prove to be a favorite among readers.”
-Times Record News (Wichita Falls, Texas)