- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
With sensitivity and grace, New York Times bestselling author Kimberla Lawson Roby addresses a very real and serious issue in an inspiring tale of one familys mission to shed light into the darkest corner of their lives.
On the outside, twelve-year-old Jillian Maxwell is the perfect childa straight-A student, helpful and cooperative, never getting into trouble. She seems to have everything a girl could want: a big, beautiful new home, an adoring little sister, a mother who cares about her, and an attentive stepfather.
But inside, Jillian harbors a terrible secret.
Too frightened to tell, convinced that her friends and loved ones, especially her mother, wont understandand worse, will blame herJillian endures her pain in silence. When her dilemma only intensifies with time, the bright, hardworking girl turns sullen, becoming increasingly disinterested in her studies. But on the verge of losing everything, Jillian will discover she has more strength than she ever imagined . . . and the power to change her fate.
About the Author
Kimberla Lawson Roby is the New York Times bestselling author of fourteen acclaimed novels, including Be Careful What You Pray For, The Best of Everything, and One in a Million. She lives with her husband in Illinois.
Praise for A Deep Dark Secret…
“Powerful....An intense gem in an authentic voice.”