- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Gaithersburg Book Festival
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Baghdad falls . . . and armed men are seen looting the city zoo. Amid a hail of bullets, a concealed underground lab is ransackedand something horrific is set loose upon the world.
Seven years later, Louisiana state veterinarian Lorna Polk investigates an abandoned shipwrecked fishing trawler carrying exotic caged animals, part of a black market smuggling ring. But there is something disturbingly wrong with these beastseach an unsettling mutation of the natural order, all sharing one uncanny trait: incredibly heightened intelligence.
Joining forces with U.S. Border Patrol Agent Jack Menarda man who shares with her a dark and bloody pastLorna sets out to uncover the truth about this strange cargo and the terrorist threat it poses. Because a beast escaped the shipwreck and is running amokand what is about to be born upon the altar of Eden could threaten not only the future of the world but the very foundation of what it means to be human.
About the Author
James Rollins is the New York Times bestseller of thrillers translated into forty languages. His Sigma series has been lauded as one of the "top crowd pleasers" (New York Times) and one of the "hottest summer reads" (People Magazine). Acclaimed for his originality, Rollins unveils unseen worlds, scientific breakthroughs, and historical secrets—and he does it all at breakneck speed.
Rebecca Cantrell's Hannah Vogel mystery novels have won the Bruce Alexander and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Barry and Romantic Times Reviewers Choice awards; her critically-acclaimed novel, iDrakula, was nominated for the APPY award and listed on Booklist's Top 10 Horror Fiction for Youth. She and her husband and son just left Hawaii's sunny shores for adventures in Berlin.
Praise for Altar of Eden…
“Rollins is as sure-footed on new ground as he is in the familiar Sigma Force world.”