- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Gaithersburg Book Festival
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Freedom Just Around the Corner: A New American History: 1585-1828 (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
A powerful reinterpretation of the founding of America by a Pulitzer Prize–winning historian.
The creation of the United States of America is the central event of the past four hundred years," states Walter McDougall in his preface to Freedom Just Around the Corner. With this statement begins McDougall's most ambitious, original, and uncompromising of histories. McDougall marshals the latest scholarship and writes in a style redolent with passion, pathos, and humour in pursuit of truths often obscured in books burdened with political slants.
With an insightful approach to the nearly 250 years spanning America's beginnings, McDougall offers his readers an understanding of the uniqueness of the "American character" and how this character has shaped the wide ranging course of historical events. McDougall explains that Americans have always been in a unique position of enjoying "more opportunity to pursue their ambitions䳨an any other people in history." Throughout Freedom Just Around the Corner the character of the American people shines, a character built out of a freedom to indulge in the whole panoply of human behaviour. The genius behind the success of the United States is founded on the complex, irrepressible American spirit.
A grand narrative rich with new details and insights about colonial and early national history, Freedom Just Around the Corner is the first instalment of a trilogy that will eventually bring the story of America up to the present day, a story epic, bemusing, and brooding.
About the Author
A professor of history at the University of Pennsylvania, Walter A. McDougall is the author of many books, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning The Heavens and the Earth and Let the Sea Make a Noise. . . . He lives in Pennsylvania with his wife and two teenage children.