- Multimedia Archive
- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Affiliated Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- Spring Classes
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Edith Wharton
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Building Character
- Crafting a Compelling Query: An Agent's Advice
- Deconstructing Children's Literature
- E.M. Forster: Aspects of the Novel and Howard’s End
- Faulkner and Woolf: Avant-Garde of the Avant-Garde?
- How Fiction Works
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Interpretations of Sherlock Holmes: Part I
- On the Dark Side: the First Arc of American Noir
- Paris: A Literary Sampler
- Picture Book Intensive: A Writing Workshop
- Right Brain Writing: Guided Prompts
- Rock Creek Songbirds
- Spring Poetry Circle: Czeslaw Milosz & Tomas Transtromer
- The Tell-Tale Poe
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
Meet Sherman Mack.
Short. Nerdy. Amateur P.I. And prepared to do anything for Dini Trioli, tenth-grade goddess.
Nobody knows how the tradition began, but every girl at Harewood Tech fears being D-listed, a ritual that wipes her off the social map forever. When Sherman believes Dini is in danger of being D-listed, he launches a full-scale investigation to save her. Part comedy, part mystery, and with all of Jubys trademark laugh-out-loud style, Getting the Girl takes on the cruelest aspect of high school social life.
Meet Sherman Mack, the only one willing to fight back.
About the Author
SUSAN JUBY is the author of the critically acclaimed Getting the Girl and Another Kind of Cowboy, as well as the bestselling Alice series (Alice, I Think; Miss Smithers; Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last) and her latest novel for adults, The Woefield Poultry Collective. After dropping out of fashion college and attaining a BA from the University of British Columbia, Susan went to work in the book industry. She holds a masters degree in publishing. She currently lives on Vancouver Island with her husband, James, and their dog, who prefers to remain anonymous. Visit her online at susanjuby.com.
Praise for Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery…
“As always, Juby endows her endearing characters with quirky, comedic voices and original backgrounds.”
-Kirkus Reviews (starred)
“Juby again demonstrates her ability to tell a story that’s richly colored all the way to the edges.”
-Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books (starred review)
“A fun read with a message.”
-KLIATT (starred review)
“As if appealing to both genders and espousing integrity weren’t enough, the story is often funny, with an endearing main character. GETTING THE GIRL is a pursuit worth undertaking.”
-School Library Journal
“Clever, smart, and wryly observant, [with] an impressive array of convincingly quirky, original characters.”