- Multimedia Archive
- Classes & Trips
- Book Groups
- Supported Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Hungry for Words: An Inquiry Into the Art of Food Writing
- Writing Workshops
- Politics & Place
- Close Reads: Classics & Contemporary
- Fiction & Form
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- District Lines
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
Catfight: Rivalries Among Women--from Diets to Dating, from the Boardroom to the Delivery Room (Paperback)
Not currently in the store – Usually ships in 1-5 days
Women often behave toward one another in sneaky, underhanded, ruthlessly competitive ways. Catfight is a remarkably researched and insightful foray into the American woman's world of aggression, rivalry, and competition. Tanenbaum draws on real-life examples and the most important studies to date in psychology, human aggression, psychoanalytic theory, and social movements to uncover the pressures that leave women regarding one another as adversaries rather than allies.
Most women highly value female approval and friendship, but the darker side of sisterhood can evoke covertly competitive behavior:
- A career woman quits to become a full-time mom. Although she misses her job and the income, she belittles you, a working mother, as selfishly unconcerned with your children's welfare.
- You're at a party in mid-conversation with your boyfriend when an attractive woman comes over to mingle. You move closer to him, touching him and glaring at her.
- A female colleague "accidentally" misplaces your files and "forgets" to e-mail you about an important upcoming meeting.
What is the state of "sisterhood" today? And how much progress have we really made?
About the Author
Leora Tanenbaum is the author of Slut! Growing Up Female with a Bad Reputation and a rising young talent of journalism today. She has written for Newsday, Seventeen, Ms., and The Nation, among others, and appears regularly on a variety of national television programs. She lives in New York City with her husband and two children.
Praise for Catfight: Rivalries Among Women--from Diets to Dating, from the Boardroom to the Delivery Room…
“Tanenbaum [has made a] bold step into the literary world to start a bold discussion.”
-New York Newsday
“An eye-opening book.”
“Catfight is an incisive exploration of a long-taboo subject-how and why women sabotage one another.”
-Gail Sheehy, author of New Passages and Hillary's Choice