- Book Groups
- Classes & Trips
- Offsite Events
- Bulk Book Sales
- Children & Teens
- Classes & Trips
- Winter Classes
- "What's Love Got To Do With It?": A History of Marriage
- Arthurian Women
- Bridging the Partisan Divide
- Cloaked Trajectory: Tracking the Modern Spy Novel
- Edith Wharton
- Expatriate Literature: Americans Abroad
- From Main Street to Lake Wobegon: Sinclair Lewis, Garrison Keillor, and Life in Small Town America
- In the Beginning: Get Your Novel/Story/Memoir Off to a Great Start!
- Inside The Best American Poetry 2013
- Knitting the New Lace
- Make Your Own Passover Haggadah with DipTwice
- Master Class: Memoir Manuscript Workshop
- Memoir Writing Workshop (Mixed Level)
- Memoir Writing Workshop: Version 2.0
- Ralph Ellison: Invisible & Visible
- Shakespeare in Washington: Richard III and Henry IV, Part 1
- Text and Performance: Three Contemporary Plays
- The Poetry of Seamus Heaney
- Understanding Middle East Politics through Literature
- Workshop with NYT bestselling author Cara Black: We'll Always Have Paris...: Constructing an International Setting
- Writing and Rewriting Huck
- Winter Classes
- Book Printing
- Gifts, CDs, & DVDs
- Membership & Community
- Local Restaurants
- Modern Times Coffeehouse
- DC Blogs
- Literary Organizations
- Support a Local School or Literacy Organization
- School Book Fairs & Partnership Fridays
- About Us
THE SCOOP FROM BRAD & LISSA
Politics & Prose hasn’t ventured much into the used book business in the past, but we appreciate that some customers may want the option of buying books that aren’t new. While we’ll continue to devote our store inventory to new and sale books, we’re pleased to announce a new teaming arrangement with Biblio.com that will offer customers a way of shopping for used books through our website. Biblio is a major supplier of pre-owned books, with a collection of more than 85 million copies.
Looking for a used book is sometimes the only way to get a copy of a particular title, especially when the publisher has stopped printing the book. A primary benefit of P&P’s new partnership with Biblio is that it will enable our staff to help customers obtain these out-of-print and hard-to-find editions.
We also recognize that used books may appeal to customers for other reasons. They can be less expensive. And since they’re already weathered, there’s less concern about bending their spines, losing their dust jackets or dripping coffee on them. The same goes for taking them out of the house to the beach, the subway or some other exposed place. Plus, for the environment-minded, used books provide yet another recycling opportunity.
One other thing a reader might find in a pre-owned book and not in a new one: margin notes. These, of course, can sometimes be distracting, but they also can be fun and enlightening, offering a glimpse of a previous owner’s reading experience and someone else’s perspective on the text.
A few weeks ago, P&P launched the partnership with Biblio, adding a button on our website that takes customers to Biblio’s site. Since then, the American Booksellers Association has introduced an affiliate program with Biblio that provides favorable terms for other independent bookstores as well. Our link to Biblio’s inventory goes to a page that displays P&P’s banner, so when you shop there, you can be assured that P&P receives some credit. If you’re in the market for a used book, we encourage you to take advantage of this new P&P connection to Biblio.
--Brad and Lissa